Introduction to Careers
The Yeovil College Careers Hub is committed to ensuring that our learners are ready for the next steps on their career journey. We work closely with The Heart of the Southwest Careers and Enterprise Company to ensure that we are meeting the eight Gatsby benchmarks of good career guidance. Our Careers Hub is packed full of useful resources from CV top tips, personal statement writing to information on employer links.
Our Students will:
- Improve their employability
- Develop skills relevant to their future career
- Gain a greater insight into their chosen industry
- Receive personal coaching and mentoring from an established manager.
For more information on careers support for adult learners, click here.
100% Compliance within the Gatsby Benchmarks
Gayle Pogson, Head of Careers, Work Placement and Employability at Yeovil College
We work closely with the Heart of the South West Careers Hub, one of the largest careers hubs in England, established in collaboration with Heart of the South West (HotSW) Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and The Careers and Enterprise Company (CEC) to help transform careers education for young people across Devon, Somerset, Plymouth and Torbay.
Careers Hubs are a central part of the government’s Careers Strategy and Statutory Guidance for School and College Leaders. The aim is to help all secondary schools and colleges implement high quality careers guidance to help young people make more informed decisions around their future choices.
The HotSW Careers Hub’s role is to link secondary schools and colleges to local employers and help them deliver high quality careers support for students by:
- Building Networks: linking schools and colleges to an Enterprise Adviser, a business professional volunteer who comes from any industry sector or professional background to help create powerful, lasting partnerships between schools, colleges, employers and careers programme providers. An Enterprise Adviser uses their business experience and professional networks to help develop and implement an effective careers strategy that puts opportunities with local employers at the heart of a young person’s education.
- Supporting Careers Leaders: providing training and support for Careers Leaders in schools and colleges.
- Backing the Gatsby Benchmarks: supporting implementation of a best practice standard for careers support through the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks (goodcareerguidance.org.uk)
Careers, Education, Information, Advice & Guidance (CEIAG)
Taking your next steps can be daunting. Perhaps you are struggling to think about your long term goals? Or maybe you’re just unsure about where to start? Don’t worry, we have a dedicated Careers team here at the College who are always available and will support you every step of the way.
We will give you space and time to allow you to meet with a professional Careers Adviser throughout your time with us, allowing you to discuss your careers aspirations. They will support you to look at your career pathway and the vast range of options available to you. You will also receive specialist career information from your chosen industry from visiting expert lecturers and via bespoke masterclasses.
As qualified and accredited advisors, you can be assured that you will be receiving the very best support and information about your career options and the most appropriate way to reach your end goal.
We can offer you Careers, Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) at a time which is most appropriate to you. Our CEIAG team will support you to find a career choice which suits your skills and ambitions and will help you choose the next step in your career journey. You can explore some potential career sectors here.
Meet Your Careers Hub Team
Emma Read, Yeovil College Governor, is our Careers Champion for the Yeovil College Corporation.
Each member of our Careers Hub team has created a video for you to get to know them. Please click on your Career Advisor’s name below to view their introduction video.
Check out our partner Careerpilot’s website here. Careerpilot offers a huge range of useful tools and information all in one place.
This map shows which universities or university centres Yeovil College learners progressed onto following their studies with us.
*Map by UCAS. Only displays students who applied via UCAS, using the buzzword to link them to Yeovil College.