T Levels

A T Level is a nationally recognised qualification for 16-19 year olds that takes two years to complete. Leading businesses and employers have helped to design T Levels to give you the knowledge and skills you need. As a helpful guide, they are the equivalent to three A Levels. 

T Levels are the new qualifications that everyone is talking about. If you know what type of career you want in the future and you enjoy a combination of technical and practical training, then T Levels could be a brilliant option for you. T Levels are technical qualifications which were introduced last academic year and have been endorsed by business leaders. They have been designed by employers to get you ready for your chosen career and to give young people the right kinds of skills and knowledge to make them highly employable.

T Levels follow GCSEs and are the equivalent to three A Levels. Students achieving the very highest grade in their T Level qualification will achieve the equivalent of three A*s at A Levels. This is the same as 168 UCAS points. The two-year T Level qualification blends classroom learning and work placement, together. You will spend approximately 20% of your time on a substantial work placement, which is around 45 days, and the other 80% engaged in high-quality training in the classroom. As the T Level qualifications have been backed by employers, you can have confidence that you will receive the skills and qualifications needed to secure a successful career.

With the introduction of T Levels, the government aims not only to create a more skilled and able workforce in the future but also to streamline technical education and prioritise skills that sit within 15 industry routes.


To deliver professional T Levels to the highest of standards, we have again invested a serious  amount of capital into our campus, and have introduced innovative technology, a new digital infrastructure and exciting new learning environments for our T Level students, unlike any classrooms you will have seen before. We have worked with our scientists, health, social care and education colleagues to plan our exceptional Health, Education and Science Centre, with a price tag of around £2.3 million. This sees our Ashdown building transform into an incredibly large and ultra-modern Health, Education and Science Centre with four specialist science laboratories, hospital wards, a community health skills suite, dental nursing training lab, nursing and primary education simulation spaces and an incredible learning resource centre.

T Level routes available:
  • Automotive Engineering
  • Business
  • Childcare
  • Construction
  • Digital
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Health
Work Placement

Undertaking a substantial, mandatory work placement is a key driver of success of the new T Level programme. All students will complete a minimum of 315 hours (around 45 days) to help confirm their career pathway, contextualise new skills and knowledge, and develop attitudes and behaviours needed in the sector specific workplace. Many students have even met their future employers whilst on placement.

Are T Levels Right For Me?

T Levels are an ideal option if you have a clear idea about your future career and relish the idea of technical training in an ultra-modern, UK leading, state-of-the-art environment. They are also perfect for those students who want to blend high-quality classroom training with a substantial and worthwhile industry placement.

Each T Level route contains the following components:

  • A Technical Qualification. (The main, classroom-based element).
  • An Industry Placement running for a minimum of 315 hours. (45 days).
  • English, Maths & Digital provision for those who have not achieved a grade 4.
  • Any licence to practice for that specific occupation.
  • Enrichment and tutorial time.

T Level Info graphic stating '1 T Level is equivalent to 3 A Levels'T Level Info graphic stating '80% Class, 20% Work'T Level Info graphic stating 'a 45-day industry placement'

T Levels FAQs

They follow GCSEs and are equivalent to 3 A Levels. They bring classroom and work placement together, on a course designed with employers and businesses.

Two years of full-time study.

An industry placement lasts around 45 days (minimum of 315 hours).

Five GCSEs at grades 4-9 including Maths and English.

T Levels are ideal if you want to get the knowledge and experience needed to get a skilled job.

Yes. T Levels help you to become work ready, but you can also continue studying with a higher apprenticeship or a degree.

Yes. A T Level Distinction* is worth the same as 3 A Levels at A* and will be recognised by universities.

Yes. T Levels have been designed by a collaborative partnership of education institutions and employers, so that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares you for work and your future career.