At Yeovil College our vision is to maximise potential for all; no matter where our student has started on their journey – this is our promise to you. We will give your child the opportunity to learn the right skills, knowledge, experience and know-how to set them up for a successful future, whether the goal is an apprenticeship, a degree or a career.
Why choose us?
We’re Somerset’s top performing College!
We are the TOP PERFORMING COLLEGE in the whole of Somerset. With better success rates than any other college in Somerset your child is more likely to achieve with us:
- Top for overall achievement rates for 16-18 year olds
- Top for A Level value added
- Top for 100% A Level pass rate
- Top for Top for overall achievement rates for apprentices
- Top 10% of best performing colleges in the country
We’ll give your child the employment edge
Industry placements and work experience is a fundamental part of your child’s study programme at Yeovil College. We work on live briefs and real-time projects, and engage with local employers who work with us to support the design of our curriculum as well as delivering master classes.
We want the best for your child
Like you, we’re only interested in delivering the very best. We push ourselves daily; average has no place on our campus. Your child will never be just a number to us. We genuinely work with each and every student to develop the right support plan for them.
The sky really is the limit at Yeovil College.
We work hard. And we ask our students to work hard
College isn’t easy. Students will be stretched and challenged to become the very best they can be. We expect high standards and outstanding attitudes to learning. Be assured that when our students work hard, we work even harder. Investment into ensuring all our teachers are outstanding educators is massive at Yeovil College.
We’ll push and challenge; we’ll set difficult tasks; we’ll issue live projects and we’ll also nurture when needed.
We’ll deliver experience and opportunity
Our target is your child’s career. Our end game is that dream job! We’ll use our contacts, local knowledge, business relationships, community engagement and first-class industry-standard facilities to ensure every student has the opportunity to achieve their goals.
We invest in our future
We were awarded £2.4 million to deliver a digitally enabled campus which involves massive investment in our IT infrastructure – this is a game changer for us, setting us apart from other other colleges. We have been selected by the government to deliver the next wave of T levels in digital, education and health and science from September 2021. We are introducing a £100,000 Health & Social care simulator suite and we are often mentioned by the Skills Minister and the Department for Education as an example of best practice.
For many students, a natural next step would be to progress to A Levels. A Levels suit those who wish to explore their GCSE subjects further, as well as discover new subjects like Film Studies, Psychology, Sociology and Law. Students can study three or four A Level subjects at Yeovil College.
A Levels are exam based, academic qualifications. They are a more traditional way of learning, however, students will also have work experience opportunities during their A Level studies. The majority of A Levels have an exam at the end, following a similar pattern to school based GCSEs.
All A Levels are Level 3 subjects.
Usually A Levels lead directly to university. Many of our students will continue at our partnership universities, such as University of the West of England, Plymouth University or the University of Gloucestershire, and many will progress on to Russell Group Universities.
Technical / Vocational Programmes
Technical study programmes provide a more practical, hands-on option, equipping learners with specific skills for their chosen industry. Assessment will take place via practical application and project work rather than exams. We offer technical study programmes across 15 different career areas.
They are particularly suited to learners who have a clear idea about what they want to do and which careers they want to progress into.
They start at entry level and progress up to Level 3 – Level 3 is the same qualification as A Levels.
The next steps are vast, but all include an apprenticeship, university or directly into employment.
Apprenticeships are the perfect blend of work and learning. Apprenticeship training combines workplace experience with training to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours that employers are looking for in your chosen career. Apprentices usually involve spending one day at college and four days at work, although there are many alternative study patterns, including master classes.
Students who want to, and are ready to, combine the world of work with learning.
Apprenticeships are offered at Level 2 all the way too Degree Apprenticeships at Yeovil College, which are the same as those delivered by a university.
What does the course lead to?
- Excellent and productive partnerships with the College’s local communities, especially with local employers, ensure that courses prepare learners well for progression to employment or further education and training.
- Apprentices gain the skills and confidence they need to secure permanent jobs or to gain higher levels of responsibility or promotion.
- Teachers develop learners’ work-related skills and understanding of employment well. They effectively draw on the expertise they gain from working in industry when teaching.
- A wide range of additional activities, including high-quality work placements, enriches learners’ study programmes.
- Children looked after, those previously on free school meals and those who have learning difficulties and/or disabilities receive well-planned support, education and training that ensure that a high proportion complete and achieve their qualifications.
- College leaders have improved the quality of provision. They have created a culture in which staff work resolutely in the best interests of their learners and the college is a purposeful community.
- Governors, senior leaders and managers, working closely with staff, have ensured that the quality of provision and outcomes for learners have improved over the previous three years.
Click here to know more.
Top Performing College
It’s official! The data is out and we are the top performing college in the South West! We couldn’t be more proud of this achievement and definitely can’t stop shouting about it!
When you join the top performing college in the whole of the South West for A Levels, Vocational and Technical levels, Apprenticeships and Degrees, you know you are going to achieve!
Why go anywhere else?