Yeovil College 2s beat Richard Huish 1s in a tricky away cup tie, maintaining their unbeaten start to the season. A goalless first half flattered YC, but a vast second half improvement saw us run out 5-1 winners on the day. We now progress onto the 3rd round of the AoC Knockout Cup.

Yeovil College travelled to Richard Huish on Wednesday 10th November with a strong squad. Harry Fishenden and Lewis Holland came into the squad to make their 2021/22 season debuts, with Holland starting at left-back. The spine of the team remained unchanged from the previous victory. We started the brighter of the two teams, with some energetic pressing shown from every blue shirt. Aiden Faulkner set the tone with some aggressive forward runs, and came close after dispossessing his opposite number, and driving a shot just above the crossbar. However, YC struggled to create any real clear-cut chances on a small, tricky pitch.  

Huish began to settle into the game and managed to gain a good spell of possession. Our defence quickly came under pressure, with Callum Small and Connor Packer dealing with multiple long balls. Huish had a spring in their step, and chances started to fall their way. Liam Samways was called into action on several occasions, doing well to hold a fiercely struck volley from 25 yards. Samways continued to maintain his clean sheet, standing strong to save a 1 on 1. Small came close for YC, hitting two well struck free kicks. 

The second half started in similar fashion, with both teams battling well for possession, struggling to manoeuvre any clear-cut chances. After 60 minutes of hard work, YC finally made the breakthrough, and it was a moment of brilliance. Samways cannoned a long kick downfield, with YC’s number 10 Fishenden plucking the ball out the air with a deft touch. He jinked his way past the Huish centre-back and dispatched a cool left-footed finish into the far corner. If the first goal wasn’t good enough, then the second was one for the history books. Right-back Luke Rooke found himself in a pocket of space and drilled a pinpoint cross in search of Aidan Vincent. Vincent held his run, and struck a wicked right-footed volley that crashed against the inside of the post and beat the scrambling keeper. 

We continued to dominate the half and ran into a 3 goal lead. Stuart Handyside was quickest to react to an edge-of-the-box scramble, and showcased some great opportunist finishing with a crisp shot into the bottom left corner. The three goals heightened a sense of confidence in the YC players, but Huish continued to threaten, with Samways springing well to save an awkward free kick. Vincent continued his hard-work, and was rewarded with another two goals. He was first to react in the box for both finishes, and capped a well earned hat-trick. Overall, a well determined performance from the boys in blue, and the reward was a ticket to the next round of the cup. Samways gained the ‘Man of the Match’ award, for his countless stops in the first half, keeping the score at 0-0. 

RESULT – Richard Huish Firsts 1-5 Yeovil College Seconds 

SCORERS – Vincent x3, Fishenden, Handyside 



Know More

Yeovil College Achieves 100% Compliance Within The Gatsby Benchmarks

Know More

Working with a forward-thinking College makes a difference

Know More