A 21ST CENTURY LEARNING EXPERIENCE
Technology is shaping our personal and working lives at an unprecedented rate. Our local economy is built on innovation and excellence, providing the ambitious and forward thinking technically capable workforce for the present and the future is our mission with Institute of Technology (IoT) investment. Yeovil College is one of only eleven Institutes of Technologies in the country, and the only one in south Somerset and Dorset. With more than £2.2m invested in our digital delivery capability and state of the art equipment, our Higher Education students will have access to resources that spark imagination, increase ambition and develop the skills, knowledge and understanding to help our local economy grow and thrive. We believe that if we support our business community to grow and prosper, so too will our wider community with increased opportunities.
Higher level technical skills and knowledge are at the core of this work and will ensure that South Somerset and North and West Dorset provides more and better opportunities for its communities.
Mark Bolton, CEO & Principal of Yeovil College, reflected on the ambitious plans: “Our IoT funding is part of a cohesive vision to reshape our higher education and technical curriculum. It will assist to significantly reshape, redesign and develop our campus to create a hub of technological innovation, which is even more reflective of the industries in which our students choose to develop their careers. In additional to IoT, we have plans for a further £7.5 million of capital investment, forming a substantial investment and part of our campus redevelopment plan which will provide a facility to deliver the very best for South Somerset and North and West Dorset – only the best is good enough for our community!
The next generation will be fully equipped to apply their skills increase productivity and position the region as the ‘creators and makers’ of the future.
We believe agility and collaboration are key attributes required by the business community now and in the future. Our new facilities are designed to encourage this and build these working practices into the everyday experience for our learners and staff, embedding these key characteristics in all who are part of our college community.”
Ambitious campus developments
IoT and aligned investment will create:
Workshops and work spaces
- Health, Education and Science Centre planned for September 2021, creating cutting edge laboratories, new clinical training suites, dental laboratory, early year’s education facility and environmental science arena.
- Aerospace and advanced manufacturing Academy with leading edge CAD suite, industry standard materials and research lab including, large scale 3D printing, wind tunnel, materials testing rigs, gas turbine and electronics lab.
- Light Vehicle Technology Centre planned for September 2022, delivering sustainable technology and advanced diagnostic training resources for the modern world.
- Computing and Digital Industry Laboratory to support new Cyber Security, Software Engineering and E-sports programmes.
- Digital design and creative laboratories with new materials design and production capability, virtual and augmented reality creation and immersion booths. Industry standard motion graphic and media creation studios to deliver inspirational creative industries education and training.
- Planned for Sept 2023, there will be a significantly extended construction facility, brand new training kitchens, hair and beauty salons and business hub serving the professional business service sector creating the next generation of leaders in our business community.
Over the next two years, additional student and staff spaces which reflect the highest quality education and business environments will be created; where work, study and social spaces merge to provide 21st Century working environments to rival the very best available. Students will be able to work and collaborate in digital café spaces located throughout the campus; supervised by staff, enabling students to make the most of learning time in college and get ahead in inspirational environments.
More than 20 spaces are being positively impacted by the investment, creating more impact and benefit for more students.
Impacting the business community
The changes to our curriculum and campus have been driven by our local business community, big and small. Businesses connected to advanced manufacturing, aerospace, health & science, creative industries, technology and transport have all been actively involved in shaping the curriculum and contributing to the Yeovil College students experience in recent years. The further input from our business community to direct and shape the IoT investment has been vital. All of the sectors which significantly contribute to the improved economic impact in our local economy are receiving investment. This will provide the best equipment available, giving employees in these businesses access to learning environments which are unrivalled and accelerating workforce development to provide increased prosperity.